Ong Chui Koon
Prior to his retirement from the public sector on 1 January 2013, Mr. Ong Chui Koon was a Senior General Manager and a Senior Principal Consultant at the Intellectual Property Centre of SIRIM Berhad. In his previous capacity as a Senior Principal Consultant, Mr. Ong had served as an IP Consultant from 2000 to 2012 at the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI), Malaysia. Mr. Ong advised the government on issues relating to IP rights protection and patenting of natural products.
Mr. Ong Chui Koon was a member of:
- Technical Working Group on SME Program, Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI), Malaysia
- Technical Working Group on IP in the field of ICT, Prime Minister’s Department, Malaysia
- IP Working Group on IP Policy, Special Innovation Unit (UNIK) Prime Minister’s Department, Malaysia
Mr. Ong Chui Koon was also a Senior Patent Examiner specializing in examining patent applications in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry and biotechnology from 1986 to 1996 at what was then formally known as Patent Information and Documentation Centre (PIDC) of the Standards and Industrial Research Institute of Malaysia (SIRIM). In 1993, SIRIM opted to provide only IP consultancy services and thereby handed over the patent examination task to the Intellectual Property Division of the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (MDTCA), Malaysia. At the time, Mr. Ong was appointed as a Special Consultant to MDTCA to help set up the Patent Examination Department in MDTCA, which is now known as the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (MyIPO).
As a Registered Patent Agent, Mr. Ong Chui Koon specializes in drafting patent specifications for inventions in the fields of biotechnology, chemistry, microbiology and pharmacology. He is also a member amongst the panel of judges for the annual Malaysia Technology Expo (MTE), BioInno Malaysia Expo and NICE Expo organized by MOSTI since 1995, and the ITEX competition organized by Malaysian Invention and Design Society (MINDS) since 1990.
Mr. Ong Chui Koon was a resource person for the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). He had spoken at many WIPO seminars and workshops on issues relating to IP, both in Malaysia and overseas. His latest international presentation as a WIPO speaker was at the National Seminar held in Beijing, China in November 2010. Mr. Ong spoke on “The Role of Intellectual Property in the Knowledge-based Economy – Technology Transfer and Licensing”.
Mr. Ong Chui Koon was a guest lecturer at the Department of Science and Technology Policy Studies, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya, from 2000 to 2013 where he taught the subject “Innovation and Intellectual Property” offered under the Master in Science program. Since 2003, he has been made adjunct lecturer at the Faculty of Law, National University of Malaysia where he teaches the subject “Patent Drafting and Procedures” offered under the Master in IP program.
- BSc (Hons) Biochemistry, University of Malaya
- MSc (Managing IP), Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London, England
- Certificate in IP Law, Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London, England
- Registered Patent, Trademark and Industrial Design Agent
- “Protecting Medical and Medical Related Inventions in Malaysia” in “Technology Bulletin, January – March 1996”, Malaysian Technology Development Corporation
- “Intellectual Property Protection of Traditional Medicine and Treatments in Malaysia” in “Perspectives on Intellectual Property, Volume 6”, Sweet and Maxwell, London, 1999
- “Indigenous Rights and Forest Products” in “Indigenous People’s Knowledge Systems and Protecting Biodiversity”, Advanced Professional Course, Kuala Lumpur, 2004
- “Patenting Trend in Malaysia” in “Science and Technology Indicators in Malaysia”, Malaysian Science and Technology Information Centre (MASTIC) of MOSTI, Kuala Lumpur 2006